Saturday, February 1, 2014

Making a Home Away From the Homeland


About two months ago, my husband and I started packing up our life. He said repeatedly that we had to "pack up our existence". I realize now how literally I took that. We've known all of this was coming. Back in October, we found out that we were offered a position working with a non-profit agency in the city of Portimao, Portugal. We will be helping with many things including clothing distribution, a soup kitchen, sports clubs, aiding the deaf community, and ESL classes. We are indescribably excited about this opportunity that God has allowed us. So, why was packing all of our possessions hard for me... even sad?

At the same time that we were packing, I was studying the book of Hebrews in the Bible. As a believer of the only one true God, I see my life make sense through His word.  In chapter 11 (commonly called the Faith Hall of Fame), the author walks through many characters of the Old Testament that chose to trust God and live by faith. Abel trusted God with his best sacrifice. Enoch trusted God so much that the Lord spared him of death. Noah built an enormous ship in a time and place where there had NEVER been a DROP of rain from the heavens. And then there was Abraham. God told him to leave, and he did. He packed all he had and left. There was no final destination in the GPS. Instead God says in Genesis 12, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you." I wonder if Sara cried while packing up her existence?

What I catch in Hebrews is in verses 13-14:
"These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland."

And it struck me. None of the Greats in scripture had a home here on earth. The Apostles moved from place to place settling churches and then leaving to tell more about the freedom that Christ offers. At times they were directly instructed NOT to pack anything with them. And of course, the great example, our Lord Jesus was born in a stable outside of the land where his parents had previously called home.

So, yes. I am leaving "home" for a while. But my argument is this: You are away from home, too. If your perception is that your existence lies in the stuff you could pack into boxes or sell on facebook, then your understanding of self is just as messed up as mine was last month.  When my children and then their children look at my life, I want them to say what verse 14 says- that I was seeking a homeland. A place with foundations whose builder and designer is God (v.10).

This is the basis of this blog. During our two month training and then the transition to Portugal, I will make every attempt to make our residence feel like home. I hope to share with you all of the differences between a home there and our home here in the states. But, God has taught me that regardless of what I do on earth to make it feel like home, it can only be a shadow of the Homeland that I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment