1. Descançar: This word means "to relax" and they take it seriously! We've had people cancel meet-ups with us because their day had filled up and they no longer had time to just relax. For the first months this was unfathomable! "In America this would never happen!" I kept chanting in my head. At first it was a derogatory statement, but this thing that used to be a frustration has become a point of admiration. I find myself saying, "In America this would never happen!" with more of a jealousy for those in the states that it would happen. I've come to find out that the Portuguese get it. Take some time to relax. Cancel work in the afternoon and keep your blood pressure down!
2. Passear: This word means "to stroll" but unlike it's meaning in English, it can be by foot, car, bike, whatever. The idea is that you start going without a destination and just see where the winds carry you! Crazy right! This is another one where I had thought negatively at the beginning and now I find myself wandering around aimlessly and ENJOYING IT! I've found these times away from technology and hurriedness a welcome retreat with friends, my husband, or by myself. For example, it was during one of these strolls by the river that I found a huge plot of land that becomes overrun by little crabs during low-tide. I also snapped this pic!
3. Cafe Culture: I like coffee, so this has always been a perk for me! But besides the coffee, there is this idea that it's ok, acceptable, and even encouraged to get together with friends, sit as you sip on a coffee with milk, and discuss life for as many hours as your schedule permits before people start calling to ask if you're still alive. This has led to sometimes 6 hour encounters with friends as I've practiced language and gotten to know them! Again, this would never happen in the states where all of our cups are disposable (none are here) and people are too hurried to sit and get to know others for more than the allotted hour slot that Google Calendar automatically puts in. Que chatice.... what a shame!
4. ATMs/Multibanco: This is sheerly a practical perk of living here! We had no idea that a machine could do so many things! Residence can pay their phone, electric, water, rent, and transfer money to another account in addition to the typical duties of an ATM. This has saved time and energy!
5. Língua: The language here is beautiful and interesting to learn. But we have been humbled as so many here ranging from children to middle-aged people know how to speak multiple languages! One of my Portuguese friends is VERY good at English and speaks hints of Italian, German, and French! Foreign language is taught starting at the earliest ages in elementary school, so it has been humbling as we've relied on children to translate for us!!! It's opened our eyes to the benefit of learning language at a young age and how much we want to instill that in a future family.
6. Família: I know in the South families seem to be close, but I would dare to say that the average "close" family in the states would not qualify as close here. It's common for families here (including grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins) to eat lunch together even throughout the week. The kids get picked up from school and everyone goes to grandma's house to eat lunch...every day. The concept of baby-sitter is TOTALLY foreign as family is never too far from hand and they are inherently trustworthy, reliable, and eager to hang out with your kids. To our American minds, we first saw this as unhealthy dependency, but now we are once again jealous of it and committed to fostering closeness when we have a family.
![]() | |||||||||||
| Me and a couple of adopted family members getting ready to tour a Moorish castle! History...just another thing to love! |
I feel like there should be a disclaimer to wrap things up. I am proudly American and love American traditions and customs. This holiday season is/is going to be tough being separated from those traditions and what, to us, is normalcy. Also, there are obviously drawbacks to nearly every one of these "perks" just like any cultural tradition (except for maybe the multibanco!:-)). But, there is a lot to learn from other places/cultures. While it's sometimes challenging to look into another culture through unbiased lenses, I'm finding the benefits to be ever-increasing!



No comments:
Post a Comment