Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Excusing Disobedience

I've heard many people question the authority of God's commands. Mostly, they do this with snide comments regarding the "paralyzing rules" outlined in scripture. They have scoffed at decisions to wait to live together until marriage or to refuse to get drunk at parties. Dare I say that even those claiming to be my brothers and sisters in Christ have done this. Granted they do so silently lest they appear a fraud on Sunday mornings. Please don't misread, I am not innocent of this. My thoughts often wander into sin as I judge and condemn those around me like a reflex from which I later must repent. So, why obey? Why refuse to indulge in the drunken, addicting, lustful, self-promoting thoughts and actions that the rest of the world (and regrettably sometimes the "church") coins as success and freedom?

This morning I read in Leviticus. I grant you that the book is sometimes dry on the surface and holds MANY laws that are now null because of the grace of Christ (praise Him). But over and over in the book it is written "I am the LORD your God". I began to think about the implications held in that phrase. In chapter 18, God tells Israel that they will be brought into different lands where the people have been "vomited out"because they have sinned. He commands that Israel would not do these same things, and with each command is the bookend: I am the LORD your God.

I think of the many times that we have tried to justify our disobedience. I judge because she grossly offended me... I get drunk because it's what my friends and family do... I moved in with my girl/boyfriend to save money on rent. But what our Creator tells us is "I am the LORD your God". And I would argue that if this isn't reason enough for obedience, we aren't totally recognizing who God says and demonstrates Himself to be.

God is (among countless other most excellent attributes) the Author and Perfecter of our faith, creator of all things, giver of good (Ps 107:9), savior to the weak (Ps 109:31), Comforter, Sustainer, Victor in my battles both big and small, and the list continues...

We are given these blessings for the same reason we are called to obedience, because He is our LORD and God.

God, I repent of putting my excuses above your Lordship. I praise you for your perfect character and Your grace which draws me near as your child. You alone deserve my praise and obedience. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment