A few months ago, we heard someone explain to us that temptation is simply Satan making promises to us. We are often too near-sighted to realize just how hallow and meaningless they are. Instead, we place that momentary promise over the eternal ones of our Father and act on our fleshly instinct. Here's an example...
This week we start language study on Wednesday. This is a HUGE answer to prayer! We will be meeting with a tutor in our home on a weekly basis. The goal is to learn Portuguese well enough to have real, meaningful conversations with the people around us--one step closer to making this city our "home". But, even yesterday temptation struck as I muddled through ordering at a fast-food restaurant. As people cut in front of me and effortlessly ordered, I was flooded with the false promises of Satan. "You will take forever to learn this language...You can't even order your lunch...Why even try to learn when so many people around you speak English? You've never done well with learning language before, just let someone else do the speaking for you." All of these are lies, and I know that. But, how easy is it to listen to the promises of ease and comfort that Satan uses to tempt us!
So, instead of trusting in the promises of The Deceiver, I trust in the promises of my Redeemer. "My flesh and my heart may fail but GOD IS THE STRENGTH OF MY HEART AND MY PORTION FOREVER" (Psalm 73:26). For me, it's less like IF my heart and flesh fail and more like when... But, the promise is there. Satan's promises never keep, and yet here God's promise doesn't end with my failure, but His sufficiency in the midst of my failure.
I've started underlining and copying down the promises that I encounter in scripture. When Satan tempts me to trust in his promises, I look to the promises of God that are incomparably more steadfast and sure.
The ultimate promise Satan makes (to Adam in the garden, to Jesus in the wilderness, to the lost person searching for purpose) is that we are OK without God's provision for our sinfulness. But, sweet friend, do not be deceived. This promise may seem to last for a day, month or even years, but it too is false. When we die, if you have trusted in this promise you will be accountable for your sin before our righteous creator and live out the promise you believed--eternal separation from God. But, God's promises endure that if you believe in your heart and confess with you mouth that Jesus is Lord, He rescues you (Romans 10:9-10). Your penalty is paid, and you are free from the imprisonment of the promises of Satan.
So, what promises of Satan are you trusting? What promises does God make that trump these false promises?
Cara,
ReplyDeleteI have been keeping up with your posts since you started and they are always such an encouragement! I am praying God will greatly bless all of your endeavors while you are in Portugal!
Have you heard of a site called Duolingo? It is a free site to learn a new language. I think it is similar to Rosetta Stone in the learning methods. But Portuguese is one of the languages offered. It definitely won't replace your tutor or the first-hand language skills you will be learning, but it might be a good study tool. www.duolingo.com.
Lots of love!
Laura Hess